The Easy Way
- 2 Onions – Diced
- 1 kg minced Beef
- 1 Can of kidney beans or mixed beans
- 4-5 tsps. Chilli Con Carne Mix
- Vegetable or Beef stock
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes.
- Brown Onions and the beef in a pan with a little oil and 2 tspns of the spice mix.
- Add stock, beans, chopped tomatoes and the remaining spices.
- Cook until it has reduced to a nice thick sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add more chillies if you want it hotter.
- Serve and enjoy.
The Hard Way
- 1-2 Dried Ancho
- 1-2 Dried Mulato
- 1-2 Dried Guajillo
- 1-2 Dried Jalapeno
- 1-2 Dried Chipotle
- 1-2 Dried Habanero
- 2 tsps. Cinnamon Powder
- 3 tsps. Caraway Seeds
- 2 tsps. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
- 3 tsps. Smoked Paprika Sweet
- 2 Onions
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato Puree
- 1 tspn. Mexican Oregano
- Mixture of soaked beans
This can be anything you want. I usually add a mixture of red and black kidney beans, butter bean, cannellini beans and pinto beans. Soak them overnight in a bowl of cold water and discard any that float. If you haven’t got time just use tinned
- Soak the dried chillies in coffee until they have softened. (5-10min)
- Grind caraway seeds into a powder.
- Remove any stalks from the chillies and blend them with the caraway, cinnamon, black pepper, smoked paprika and cocoa powder into a thick paste.
Add a shot of the coffee water to the paste
- Fry the onions until they are glassy and taste slightly sweet.
- Add garlic, tomato puree and the beef and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli paste and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, chopped tomatoes and Mexican oregano and cook on a low heat for as long as possible.
- Season with salt, pepper and more chillies if you want/need it hotter.