The Easy Way
- Brown Onions and the beef in a pan with a little oil and 2 tspns of the spice mix.
- Add stock, beans, chopped tomatoes and the remaining spices.
- Cook until it has reduced to a nice thick sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add more chillies if you want it hotter.
- Serve and enjoy.
The Hard Way
- Soak the dried chillies in coffee until they have softened. (5-10min)
- Grind caraway seeds into a powder.
- Remove any stalks from the chillies and blend them with the caraway, cinnamon, black pepper, smoked paprika and cocoa powder into a thick paste.
Add a shot of the coffee water to the paste
- Fry the onions until they are glassy and taste slightly sweet.
- Add garlic, tomato puree and the beef and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli paste and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, chopped tomatoes and Mexican oregano and cook on a low heat for as long as possible.
- Season with salt, pepper and more chillies if you want/need it hotter.